Saturday, September 18, 2010

Countdown to 2nd Half Marathon...

Today is the day before my second half marathon. I haven't been running since last Sunday, which was an epic failure in my running. I've decided to take the whole week off to give my legs a rest and to hopefully prepare myself for the HM tomorrow.
Today I had a lot of energy as I'm pretty excited about the race. So I decided to get some things done. I was up before 07:00, which is normal for me, I don't even need an alarm clock. I tidied up the place, got all the washing done, hoovered, did all the dishes, and then went to see the AD/DC exhibition at the Powerhouse Museum here in Sydney. I have to say, AC/DC are one of my all time favourite bands. I've seen them three times, 1982 and 1990 in Ireland and 2010 in Sydney. Anyway, it was really good, but no-one was allowed to take photos, and they had people going around making sure you didn't, so no pics!
After that, I made a packed lunch and went for a walk in the Lane Cove National Park and ate lunch at a park bench by the Blue Gum River. Pretty special.
Then I got home again and I have now got all my kit laid out for tomorrow:
Avia runners, socks (I went through each running sock I own and checked for signs of wear...), singlet, jacket for after the race, sunnies (shades), protein drink and water, Hydrapouch, protein bar for pre-race, wholegrain bars for post-race and I managed to get some Hammer Nutrition Endurolyte tablets, so I'm taking them too. I got the Endurolytes in the City Bike Depot off Kent Street, who deserve a special mention. I had checked out all Sydney hammer suppliers from the Hammer website, but out of five, these were the first to either have them, or to still stock Hammer products...
I have also charged up my Garmin and have a piece of paper with my "suggested" pace goals on it. There will be 1:50 and 1:40 pacers there. I may stick to the 1:50 pacer at the start and see how I feel. If nothing else, it will keep me from going out too fast.
Ok, so I'm going to watch a DVD, have dinner and (try to) sleep. I have to get a train at about 05:00 in the morning, so I'll be up around 04:00, just to be sure...
Update you tomorrow after the race!
Best of luck to everyone taking part in the Sydney Running Festival tomorrow.

Eoin

No comments:

Post a Comment