Monday, September 13, 2010

Week 10 update and into tapering

If you've read my previous post, you'll know that I had been training pretty hard, so I took a rest due to tired legs. The last run was on Wednesday and I took Thursday and Friday as rest days.
I was due to be working on Saturday and the work dragged on until 19:00. With more work due to start at 20:00 I only had enough time to get dinner before I got back to it. Over Saturday night (while I was asleep) the work I had scheduled failed, so I had to start it off again at 08:00 and monitor it so it wouldn't fail again. I managed to sneak out and pick up my race pack for next week's half marathon here in Sydney (pic below)...

So, when I got a chance I went for a run. I was planning a 10k tempo run, but things quickly went pear shaped. I did my stretching and warm up as usual but the whole time my left leg was in pain. At first I thought it was because I hadn't been running, but it just didn't loosen up. The pain was/is in the muscle beside the shin bone on the front of the leg. I even stopped once to try stretching to see if it would help, but it didn't. Also, I had a total lack of energy, so trying to get a certain pace was not happening at all. If all that wasn't enough, my stomach was not playing along either and just added to the overall feeling of not wanting to be on the run. By the 3k mark I had resigned to the fact that I didn't want to be running and wanted to finish it.
I turned around and couldn't wait to get home again. I stopped about 1k before the house to walk the rest and as I was getting closer I had to stop and nearly emptied the contents of my stomach on the path. After a minute or so I kept walking. I had run just over 6k at an overall slow pace of about 6min/k.
I did my stretching again when I got home, but it took a while to recover.

I am now tapering for my HM next Sunday, so I'll only be doing a couple of short recovery runs, if I can. Although I do want to have just one enjoyable run before the race...

Eoin

No comments:

Post a Comment