Sunday, September 5, 2010

Week 9 summary and info on my HR training

So week 9 draws to a close. Two weeks left to the HM in Sydney and eight weeks to my first marathon in Auckland.
This week wasn't as full on as last, the main reason being that I succumbed to a head cold this week that had been just the sniffles for a couple of weeks. I had also been having a bit of a dry cough, but only on runs. All that got worse after my Tuesday 6k run and I had to take a couple of days off to recover properly. I did the same recovery run on Friday and did it in 2 mins less. This was due to not having to exert myself as much (head cold gone). I'm going to keep doing the same route for my recovery runs, so I'll easily be able to tell if/when I'm improving and by how much.
On Saturday, my LR was due, so I set out to do a two hour run keeping my HR under 145bpm (more on this later). I did 18.3k in the two hours. Normally I would do more, but my pace was slow to keep the HR down. I ended up enjoying that run more, even though I got dive bombed by a magpie just around the 10k mark. It drew blood where it hit my head but nothing serious.
The pic above is a screen shot of my Garmin output from the LR. You can see where my HR spiked when the bird hit me.
So on Sunday (today) I found I had some free time available and, despite gale force winds, it was really warm and sunny outside. So I did my recovery run again - same route and distance. It was a bit slower than Friday, due to the LR the day before and having some wine last night!

My HR Training:
So, I have been blabbing on about HR training this week and got some questions about it, so an explanation is due.
I got a book at the start of the week (link in Tuesday's post) purely on HR Monitor training. It has a formula to guesstimate your Max HR. Starting with 205bpm, subtract half of your age, this will be your Max HR (until you have time to test it more accurately).
Then, use the following formula...  (Max HR - Resting Rate) x 70% + (Resting Rate).  If female, add 5 to that.
This gives your Recovery Ceiling, which in my case initially worked out to be 143, but I had taken my resting HR at lunch in the office, so when I took it again just after waking one morning my Recovery Ceiling is now 145bpm.
So (according to the author) I should be doing a hard day then an easy day. On the easy day (recovery run) I need to keep my HR at or below my Recovery Ceiling. This also included my weekly LR, as the intensity comes from time on the feet, not exertion.
My next step is to get my Actual Max HR. This is done  either on hill reps or sprints, which I'll be doing next week. It'll give me a much more accurate figure for my recovery runs.
So on my intense runs, I'll be aiming for at least 80-85% of my Max HR during the sprints/hills.
The theory is that on the intense runs, you will be training your anaerobic fitness, but during your recovery runs, you'll be working on your aerobic fitness.
It's interesting to note, that the author claims to have used this approach for running marathons. Specifically, he runs the first 32k or 20miles under his Recovery Ceiling and then for the last 10k/6miles he goes at his 10k pace, or whatever pace he feels like he can finish at.
I may end up adopting this technique for my own marathon, depending on how the next couple of weeks go.

Food for thought...

Eoin

No comments:

Post a Comment