Sunday, October 24, 2010

Getting itchy feet...

I guess the title has a double meaning to me at the moment. First is that I haven't had much time available to get out running. Work has been busy but also I'm moving from Australia to Ireland in a few days, yes days! It took a while to get it sorted, but I'm keeping my same job with the same company, which is fantastic! For weeks it seemed as though nothing was happening and then all of a sudden in a matter of 2-3 days it was approved and I had to book flights. I had promised my 4 year old son that I'd be home with him for Halloween, and I'll make it with a couple of days to spare. I don't often make promises, but I don't break any.
I did manage a 10k run on Tuesday after work. I set out and didn't have a particular route in mind, which was great. I headed off away from the freeway and soon found myself on roads that I hadn't been on before. I have a pretty good sense of direction, so I was comfortable that I knew I was doing one big loop. At one stage I didn't know the best direction to go, so I got my Garmin to point the way home, pretty cool! I was running along a quiet suburban road and saw a park, so I decided to run through it. After a minute or so I was thinking that it was really well kept and then realised it was a golf course! Oops! I turned around and ran on the road again...
I really enjoyed the run and it reminded me of all the hill walking I used to do in the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland years ago where I would just start walking and let myself get lost in the landscape. I'd be out for 8-9 hours a day and just relish the mountains and trees and rivers. I miss that...
Anyway, reason two for the title (remember?) is that I'll be traveling for 26 hours on Wednesday, flying from Sydney to Dublin. I have always loved traveling, even for work and have never seen it as a chore. I enjoy meeting other travelers and sometimes just watching the world go by.
Hoping to get two more runs in before I go. Might get one today and one either Tuesday or Wednesday. The second one will - if plans work out - be partly along either Maroubra beach or Coogee beach. Love those areas for running...
I'll blog again before I depart. 

Eoin

3 comments:

  1. I hope the weather brings loads of sunshine for your final days here in Aus. I also hope you have a safe trip back home and relish in the fact that you will be close to family once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww thanks Barbie!
    Apparently my 4 yo son woke up yesterday morning and said, "six more sleeps till we see daddy!"
    It will be about 9 weeks apart, so I'm really looking forward to seeing them all again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You :-)

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete