Thursday, October 7, 2010

Injury update and general unsure-ness

In my last post I said that I have had to pull out of the Auckland marathon (anyone wanting to take my place can get in touch and we can transfer the entry!). I haven't been able to get the training in due to my injured shin muscle. It's the one that runs down the outside of the shin bone.
I have been to two visits to the local Physio, Jakie, and she has hinted that it may be one particular pair of my runners. I did a short (5k) test and the pain has come back, so I'm not convinced.
I since emailed a physio friend overseas to ask advice. I knew it would be hard for her to diagnose me "online", but I put as much detail into my message as I could. She got back to me in a matter of hours (big thanks Jenny!) and said that it will improve with deep soft tissue massage, but, that won't cure it. The pain will come back. The root of the issue is in my bio-mechanics. Until I get that bit sorted out the pain will come back.
I honestly don't feel like I'm doing anything wrong and that my footfall is reasonably good. I'm not a heel striker and my feet don't "slap" the ground. But it's just running, right? How can I be putting one foot in front of the other incorrectly? Wasn't I "Born To Run" like everyone else?
I'm unsure what to do or where to get advice from next. I know there is a podiatrist that visits the running store where I got my Avia's, so I'm going to see if I can get in touch with him at the weekend...

As I'm often saying, "time will tell..."

Eoin

2 comments:

  1. ive seen a great physio (who used to be a runner) about 4 times and hes got me right, he also said biomechanics; i need my arms in, stop hip swivel, use core to guide me, chest out more...seems to be working well Greg Shearer in Turrumurra..i am however rethinking full marathon after the ordeal of getting better..do i want to damage myself again ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Paul, might check him out, not too far from me.
    I know what you mean too. I was fine during the HM recently, but any more than that might be pushing my luck for now.

    ReplyDelete