Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Turning point in my training

Let me expand...
Last Saturday we were supposed to be taking part in the Jingle Bells 5k, but it was postponed until Dec 18th due to snow & ice. This weekend, I am booked to be running in the Waterford AC Half Marathon. I registered about 4 months ago - yes, I am eager! As most of the run will be on roads and in the hard shoulder, they are still covered mostly in slush and ice. We are meant to be getting a thaw on Thursday for a few days. If that happens then the race will go ahead. The decision will be made on Thursday evening by the organizers. I have booked Friday off work and booked a hotel for the weekend for my family, so we are hoping to get a weekend away too.
If the race gets pulled, then I will officially start ramping up my training from that moment. I will start increasing my distances and working on my leg strength, core strength and endurance. I have definite goals for 2011 and have booked one race already (maybe I'm a bit too eager...), but I'll wait until closer to the event to blog about it.
Another thing I have been pondering, is how to introduce my best friend into regular exercise. Currently he doesn't do any exercise, but he looks after his 3 sons, and works, so he doesn't have much time. As my own training will be getting more intense I have asked if he will cycle alongside me as I run and he has agreed! I'm delighted with this, as it means that he will be able to exercise with me and I can still do my own pace and distance.
I hope the race on Saturday does go ahead, but if it doesn't, then I have a lot to look forward to...

Keep running,
Eoin

2 comments:

  1. I shall keep my fingers crossed for you that it all goes ahead. And YAY for having a friend to train with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just heard a few mins ago, postponed until mid-Jan due to icy roads!

    ReplyDelete