Saturday, November 5, 2011

Injury update...again

As you may or may not know by now, I backed out of the Dublin marathon. Three days before to be exact. I had been forced off running against my will, but with my better judgement, due to a hamstring injury. If you have been reading this before, or listening to the podcast (and why wouldn't you?), then you'll know that it's been plaguing me on and off since May.
What actually happened, was that I was at the track doing 50m sprints and, yes, I was being competitive with people 25 years younger than me! Anyway, one of the "kids" there was doing the 50m in 7.00 secs and I was doing them at around 7:20, so I thought, "I can't let him away with that!" Stupid I know. So I did the sprint, but for some reason I was letting my legs stay on the ground a bit longer than I should, and the weaker leg muscles were pulling my legs forward, rather than my stronger muscles doing all the work. That's when and how it happened. I didn't rest it as much as I should have and rather than back out of the Kildare HM I kept going with my training, icing my leg whenever it played up. So the niggle I got in May ended up forcing me out of a marathon in October.
Of course, if I had 20/20 hindsight...
In the meantime I'm still doing my cross training in the gym and have gone three times this week. I used to think I had more lower body strength and fitness, it's turning around the other way now! In the gym earlier I was pretty tempted to jump on the dreadmill for 20mins just to test out the leg, but I erred on the side of caution, as it's not 100%.
I went to the DM Expo and picked up my goodie bag (hey, I paid for it already didn't I) and did some "retail therapy" in the form of buying a new pair of VFFs from Barefoot.ie who had a stand there. I had Bikila's already and this time I went for KSOs. Can't wait to try them out on a run!

Eoin

3 comments:

  1. Oh no!! I didn't realize you had to back out! That's no good, but smart. Damn kids. They always make you feel old and slow. Ha!

    I hope you like your VFFs. Good for you to keep with the cross-training though. Gonna listen to your podcast now. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks, yea I really need to stop competing with those pesky kids! Ha ha.
    I'm wearing the KSOs around the house and on walks to break my feet and legs in, so hopefully I won't be in too much pain when I can get back running. Hope you enjoyed the podcast :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Eoin, I'm sorry you had to back out of the Dublin race. BUT you're being smart and I really, really love your attitude with the sprints :-)You will be running great races in 20 years, I'm confident of that. If you want to read about someone very inspiring who is running his best right now and who is not a kid, check out my friend Marty (he's on DM and Facebook) if you're not already friends. Continue with your strength training - that's fabulous and will help.I'll inbox you on FB with something re your injury.

    ReplyDelete