Wednesday, January 11, 2012

False start

As my regular reader (Hi Mom!) will know, I had a major hamstring issue last year that effected the middle hamstring muscle in my right leg and the tendon. The tendon still gives pain, but I use a form roller on it and keep stretching, so it's not nearly the big deal it was.
From just before the holidays I got back out running and was starting to feel my running fitness coming back. Then I began to get a pain on the ball of my left foot and would have to stop after 2-3k or so. It came back every run, so after a week I went to the physio. He worked on it and said it was a "Morton's Neuroma" and I should massage the foot regularly. So a couple of days went by and I did a relaxed 8k or so run around the village, all good.
Then the issue came back and despite the work I was doing on my foot it wasn't going away. So I'm currently using anti-inflammatories and ice to reduce the pain. Apparently it's caused by a pinched nerve due to friction. Mine is located between the first and second metatarsals. Sometimes this is caused by runners being too tight around the toebox, but as I mainly run barefoot I don't see that as being the issue! I'm thinking that as my feet are getting stronger and reshaping due to the barefoot running the nerve hasn't "fitted in" properly yet, but we'll see how it goes.
Here's hoping I can get it sorted and get back running soon!

Update: I was talking to two physios over the weekend and they agreed that I need to rest the foot for 4-6 weeks, no running or long walks...
Keep running,
Eoin

No comments:

Post a Comment