Thursday, April 19, 2012

New training and goals

Last year I pushed myself and broke myself (almost). I won't go over the details again, they are all in my older posts. I had some big goals for last year and injuring myself put a complete stop to attaining some of them. If I had been training less I would still have become injured, just less so - such was the nature of the injury. Having said that, I got a PB in all but one race I ran last year!

I have learnt a lot about myself due to the injury and issues from last year and early this year and I now think I'm much better at listening to my own body and realizing when to ease off in training and when I can push myself a bit more. I've also become quite familiar with my running/racing pace and know by feel where my threshold is - that fine line between running at a sustainable pace and blowing up. There's only a few seconds in difference in your pace.

I went on a 10k local training run a few weeks back and came back badly blistered (in spite of what I just said in the previous paragraph!). I felt no pain on my right foot, but three blisters on my toes had burst and were bleeding. My left foot felt like it had a small pebble under it for the last 4k or so and I had a 4cm or so blood blister on the ball of my foot at the end. The mid-foot section swelled up and I could only walk properly again 3 days later on the Wednesday. On Friday I tried 3k on a treadmill and felt good, so I then did the Great Ireland Run 10k on the Sunday. As you might imagine my time wasn't as good as I would otherwise hope for, still I got 48:19, so happy enough.

Last year I was on a tough training plan that had me running 7-8 hours a week and cross training too, for a total of around 11 hours training a week for 16 weeks straight. I had "easy" weeks immediately after a race, but then it was back into top gear again. On reflection I miss the time I could have spent with the family. My kids are 5 and 4 and are just getting their independence, so it's great to be there for them.

With that in mind, I've refocused and will be (mainly) training for and racing 5 and 10k races this year, with an adventure relay race in the autumn. I might do the Dublin half marathon, but I'll see closer to the time.
So goals for the year are to break my 5k and 10k PBs (23:24 and 47:08). Ideally I'd like to get under 22 in the 5k and under 45 in the 10k. I think they are both attainable. The key is consistency!

Keep running,

Eoin

1 comment:

  1. Great job breaking almost all your PRs last year! Hope you can do that again this year. Our kids are around the same age....it can be toughto find time to train at that age. Good luck with training!

    ReplyDelete