Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Less is different

As I wrote in the previous post, I'm running a bit less right now. This is due to a few reasons:
  • Not entering many races
  • Having a family, full time job and college
  • Not being concerned with my run times as much
A side effect of all of this is that I'm enjoying my running more. I may only get to run 2-3 times a week (I didn't even run once last weekend!), but I'm really enjoying it. That's what it's about for me. 

A couple of years ago I was running 5-6 times a week and doing conditioning in a gym 3 times a week also. I ran 18 races that year and got a PB in all but two of them. But, I didn't enjoy the running, it was just something that had to be done to work towards a goal. The goal was another race, or a faster time. And that took the fun out of it. 

With other training I do, there is an element of "practice this to be able to do something new and different". As I also do Martial Arts and recently started CrossFit, you can see what I mean in relation to them. But with running it's more like repetition and more repetition gets you a goal and the goal is...more running...?

As you may have guessed, I'm starting to find long distance running (and cycling) a bit boring. I used to half joke that running was my "therapy", a way of loosening the shackles of work etc and getting outdoors for a while. Well, maybe I don't need as much recently (which I think is a good sign).

I have a race coming up this Sunday, in Dunboyne. Previously I was aiming for under 30mins, but this year I'm a bit more relaxed about it. I didn't run over the weekend, and whereas I could have run during lunch today, I got other stuff done around the house. Hoping to get a run in later though and possibly a track session tomorrow. Will let you know how I get on, but regardless, I think I'll enjoy it.


Eoin

No comments:

Post a Comment